Open to all, the 2017 Take a Stand Symposium will bring together leaders, teachers, and key stakeholders from around the world with a vested interest in the El Sistema movement and progressive practices in music education. Coinciding with the tenth anniversary of Youth Orchestra LA (YOLA) and fifth anniversary of the Masters of Arts in Teaching in Music degree program, participants will address and reflect on past, present, and future issues facing the field.
- Pre-session site visit to one of the LA Phil’s YOLA sites (afternoon of 7/19)
- A focus on the interplay of Excellence and Inclusion in Sistema-inspired work, including sessions on:
- Best practices in music teaching & learning
- Findings and implications from major research studies on music’s effect on brain development and socioemotional outcomes in students in El Sistema-inspired programs
- Practical evaluation and assessment strategies for teachers and administrators
- Best practices for supporting young musicians that aspire to a musical career pathway
- Interaction with the National Take a Stand Festival, taking place alongside the Symposium
- Performance by the National Take a Stand Festival Orchestra, led by Gustavo Dudamel, at Walt Disney Concert Hall (evening of 7/22)
PLEASE NOTE: all activities will take place at Walt Disney Concert Hall, Colburn School, and the Conference Center at the Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels in Downtown Los Angeles, unless noted otherwise.
Call (213) 972-3454 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Check back here for ongoing updates and sign up for Symposium mailing list here.
Explore Previous Conferences
Re-live our last five conferences through videos, photos and notes.
- 2015 Take a Stand Symposium
- 2014 Take a Stand Symposium
- 2013 Future Play Symposium
- 2012 Take a Stand Symposium
- 2010 YOLA Symposium
Take a Stand – a partnership of the Los Angeles Philharmonic, Bard College, and the Longy School of Music of Bard College – is an innovative initiative that supports social change through music. Inspired by El Sistema, Venezuela’s revolutionary music education program, Take a Stand supports the field through national conferences and a Master of Arts in Teaching in Music degree program.